Wednesday, January 30, 2008

President Hinckley

Knowing of no other prophet my whole entire life I don't think it has really hit me yet about the passing of President Hinckley. I guess ignorantly I just tried not to think about when his time would come. It's one of those things like we were discussing in class that I'll always remember where I was and what I was doing when I found out. I am a quote person...I guess that is the English major in me.

"Faith in something greater than ourselves enables us to do what we have said we'll do, to press formward when we are tired or hurt or afraid, to keep going when the challenge seems overwhelming and the course is entirely uncertain."

I am reading about Freud, a brilliant analytical thinker but a complete atheist, for my psychology of religion class. I remember him calling religion just "deep-seated wishes". Having this reading assignment over the weekend it just make me laugh at this idea when all over the news there was this man (President Hinckley) who could not have been what he was with out the lord. Although I do not have a memory of meeting President Hinckley or being near him, I have learned so much from what he speaks about...this simple faith that does enable us to be more than we ever could. "Deep-seated wishes" are not what gets us through these rough patches.

1 comment:

Keith McKay said...

I wonder how long someone can go participating in the gospel without having a certain testimony. I'm not sure even "deep-seated wishes" could have carried President Hinckely through 75 years of church service. For dedication like that, the man must have (and did) possess a profound testimony. TO respond ot Freud, I think there's a deeper reason as to why the principles of the gospel sound and feel good, and it's not just wishful thinking.